Well, God has done it again. He has provided over $16,000 through generous donors, as well as dozens of hours of professional labor to finish “Parkside Place,” formerly known as “The Dog House.” Thank you so much for your help, prayers, and donations! Check out the finished product. We now have a couple that is living in the house and doing community outreach. Let us know if you want to help out through homework helps, events in the area, hospitality, or just spending time with the neighborhood (email@example.com / 507.261.0720).
See the attached project estimates for the remodel. Currently, we have a project need of just over $17,000. To date, we have collected $1,100, so we have our work cut out for us. We would ask you to pray that God would provide all that is needed. We are off to a great start with the demo and rebuilding getting underway. However, we will need to raise a few thousand more dollars, quite soon, in order to start the wiring, insulation, and drywalling. As you look at the estimate, you’ll see there are a number of items – appliances to name one area – where significant savings can happen with in-kind donations.
Check out the Saturday Post-Bulletin, as they are doing a story on all the good happenings in the Oak Terrace / Parkside Parks! How great is this, to be part of something much bigger than ourselves?!
Work Day – this Saturday, 11AM to 4PM. We will work to demo the backyard shed; replace flooring; frame up interior walls; install underbelly insulation; finish siding and soffit outside, etc. Come one, come all. Let me know if you can make it out!
Donate – If you would like to financially support this project, tax-deductible donations can be made to “Bear Creek Christian Church” (re: Community House/Center) – P.O. Box 9278 – Rochester, MN 55903.
- Tomorrow (Thursday) – yes you saw this correctly. We have a carpenter coming from 9A to 4P tomorrow, so we’ll be there! Come on by if you are free. We’ll be at lunch around noon.
- Saturday, March 2nd (9AM-4PM) We’ll be there all day, and have lunch brought in around Noon.
- Monday, March 4th (4-8PM)
- Tuesday, March 5th (4-8PM)
- Saturday, March 9th (10AM-4PM)
Projects for the next 2-3 weeks:
- Replace exterior back door
- Reattach siding
- Replace soffit
- Replace a few more pieces of sub-floor
- Frame up a few interior walls
- Reinsulate floor areas as needed
- Tearing down the old shed in the backyard – gotta make room for a little playground!
- Wire entire house
- Insulate walls
- Funds. We really need to raise the first $5,000 right away, in order to keep things going at this stage. Here are a few of our expenses: $1,000 in electrical materials, $1,000 in insulation, $1,000 in windows, $500 in debris removal, $300 in doors, $500 in permits, $500 in lumber.
- Planning and Permitting – pray for all of this to come together quickly, so we can keep the progress rolling.
- Volunteers. We can always use skilled and unskilled help. Right now, we need a plumber to look things over and help us plan out what needs to be updated/repaired. We have had volunteers from a number of churches in the area, but are hoping for a lot more! Spread the word and we’ll see what God can do.
- Donations can be made out to “Bear Creek Church” (re: Parkside Home) and mailed to P.O. Box 9278 – Rochester, MN 55903.
This house clean-up / rehab project is our most current challenge! The home, from ParkSide Mobile Home Park was donated to Bear Creek Church. Our goal is to clean up and restore this 3-bed, 2-bath home. We hope to take one of the worst homes and transform it into one of the best in the neighborhood. We believe this is the kind of work that Jesus does in our lives – takes the worst of what we do and have becom…and then transforms us from the inside out.
The previous owner defaulted on their mortgage and left the house completely filthy – a mixture of animal feces, mouse shelters, and lots of garbage/trash/stuff. The bank simply signed over the deed to the park…and now it is ours. The home will be used to bless the community, either through providing a family good housing, or a place to practice hospitality, tutoring, and other outreach opportunities. We’ll see what God has in store as we move forward! Approximately $17,000-$18,000 and LOTS of skilled/unskilled volunteers are needed. We work on the house about 3 days/week. If you want to volunteer for a couple hours or give a tax-deductible donation, just let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org / 507.261.0720).
Checks can be made out to “Bear Creek Church – P.O. Box 9278 – Rochester, MN 55903 (re: Parkside Home Remodel).
We are officially FINISHED with the Meyer House!! How cool is that?! We finished some concrete basement work and shed siding in July.
Thanks so very much to you all for your generous support of time, talents, and treasure! There was just about $24,000 in donated funds, plus hundreds of volunteer hours, as well as many, many in-kind gifts! This would not have happened without your kindness. Continue reading
Well, it’s been a couple weeks since the last update…so here’s where we are at.
Wednesday, June 6th